Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hachiko, loyal dog

We'd rather take a picture with a statue of a dog than with a real
live cat, since we now know cats can't be trusted. Dogs, on the other
hand, are loyal friends.

This is the famous statue of Hachiko at Shibuya Crossing. Hachiko was
an Akita and companion of a Tokyo University professor in the 1920's.
Every day, Hachiko would wait for his master to return from work at
the Shibuya train station. One day, the professor suffered a stroke
and died while at work. Hachiko waited at the train station for him
but his owner never came home. Hachiko continued to wait at the train
station every day for 10 years until he died. Hachiko is now known all
over Japan for his loyalty and the statue is a favorite place for
friends to meet.

While doing a quick Wiki seach on Hachiko to make sure I had my facts
right, I learned that an American movie about Hachiko's story is
planned for 2009 starting Richard Gere. Hmm... I also learned that
Hachiko's stuffed and mounted remains are on display at the natural
science museum - yech, I think I'd rather just enjoy the statue and
the story.

No comments: